Blueberry and Lemon Scones

Blueberry and Lemon Scones

There is something about blueberries and lemon, they just go so well together, so when I came upon this recipe from the Pastry Affair blog, I just had to try it.

I’m afraid I’ve been away for too long. This past month has been crazy busy, and I’ve really missed my mixer and oven. I’m so happy to have had a small break today so that I could make these incredibly delicious Blueberry and Lemon Scones.

Blueberry and Lemon Scones

The recipe is from Pastry Affair and is simple and straightforward and I followed it pretty much as is except that since I had no heavy cream at home I used half and half. Because of this substitution the dough needed a bit more flour so I added about 4 tablespoons worth.  The extra flour made it easier to work the dough into a circle and cut it into eight portions.

Blueberry and Lemon Scones

The scones came out beautifully and were absolutely delicious. They were tender and moist and you could really taste the lemon flavour. And since there is hardly any sugar at all in the scones I feel the lemon glaze is a must, though if you prefer things not so sweet then you could eat them on their own or maybe with some clotted cream.

Blueberry and Lemon Scones

• 1/8 tsp. salt
  • zest of 2 lemons
  • 1/2 cup of cold unsalted butter, cubed
  • 1/2 cup of half & half cream
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries, picked over and rinsed

Ingredients for the lemon glaze:

• 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 4 tsp. half & half cream (or milk)

Directions:

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest in the bowl of your stand mixer, and with the mixer on low (fitted with the paddle attachment) combine the dry ingredients together.  Add in the cubed butter and mix until the pieces of butter are the size of peas. Whisk the egg into the cream and pour the mixture into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients, mix until the dough comes together and then add the blueberries.  Do not over-mix or the blueberries will burst (but don’t worry if they do it will still taste delicious).

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and using your hands shape the dough into a circle. Pat the dough so it’s about one inch thick.  Cut into 8 even portions and place on lined baking sheet.

Bake in the oven for 22 to 25 minutes until scones are golden brown.  Transfer scones to a wire rack to cool.

While the scones are cooling you can prepare the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar, lemon juice and cream in a small bowl.  Adjust the glaze to the desired consistency by adding more cream or milk.

Enjoy!

About these ads

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

36 thoughts on “Blueberry and Lemon Scones

1. These look so amazing! I am so glad to have found your blog. You have amazing recipes and even amazing pics!!

2. spiceinthecity June 24, 2014 at 12:59 pm Reply

These look totally amazing!

3. Dimple@shivaaydelights June 19, 2014 at 5:09 pm Reply

Stunning recipe and pictures!

4. Nancy June 19, 2014 at 1:08 pm Reply

Such a delicious recipe you chose for your return to the kitchen! These look fabulous, Fida…simply scrumptious scones!

5. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa June 18, 2014 at 4:08 pm Reply

I couldn’t agree more! My love for both blueberries and scones couldn’t meet a happier ending.
    Great recipe! I need to have a bunch of these right now ;)
    Thanks for sharing an amazing recipe!

• Sweet and Savoury Pursuits June 18, 2014 at 4:42 pm Reply

Thanks so much! Everyone that tasted these scones loved them so much that I was asked to make another batch!
      It’s my pleasure :)

6. krumkaker June 17, 2014 at 1:33 am Reply

Those look delicious! Bluberries and lemon, wonderful!

7. apuginthekitchen June 16, 2014 at 4:20 pm Reply

Those are some very beautiful scones, love lemon and blueberry together and the scones look light and moist. Thank you for bringing these lovely treats to FF#20!!

8. Lily June 15, 2014 at 9:09 am Reply

Your scones look perfect, they remind me of our local tea house that is known for their scones, a must try, pinned!

9. lapetitepaniere June 14, 2014 at 11:47 pm Reply

Your blueberry and lemon scones look delicious :)

10. simplyvegetarian777 June 14, 2014 at 10:45 pm Reply

I love scones and these look gorgeous.

11. Sinfully Tempting June 14, 2014 at 10:26 pm Reply

Wonderful recipe, thanks so much for sharing it at Fiesta Friday! :)

12. Kloesunny @ Kloe's Kitchen June 14, 2014 at 10:12 pm Reply

Ah, scones! I could eat these all day and yours look amazing. Love the fresh fruit!!!

• Sweet and Savoury Pursuits June 14, 2014 at 10:15 pm Reply

Thanks Kloe! I know what you mean, that’s why I had one and put the rest in the freezer until I can give them away!

13. nancyc June 14, 2014 at 9:34 pm Reply

Those scones look so good!

14. Myrna June 14, 2014 at 8:05 pm Reply

These scones look delicious! Can’t wait to try one.

15. Ngan R. June 14, 2014 at 5:15 pm Reply

I could use a few of these right now with my coffee! These look great!

16. Fae's Twist & Tango June 14, 2014 at 4:33 pm Reply

Happy Fiesta Friday #20, SSP! When I take cruises, I make sure to go to the tea time at 3:30pm, to enjoy the scones. With addition of fresh blueberries and lemon zest, this recipe surpasses the wonderful scones we get on board. :P

17. Jess June 14, 2014 at 4:31 pm Reply

Wonderful looking scones Fida- great job :-)

18. Patty Nguyen June 14, 2014 at 3:32 pm Reply

These look great, Fida. I can tell how tender and moist they are from that last photo!