Avocado and Chocolate Smoothie

Avocado and Chocolate Smoothie

I know I posted a recipe for a smoothie last week, but the truth is I’m really just discovering smoothies and have been experimenting a bit with different flavours. Today I’m sharing this Avocado and Chocolate Smoothie with you.  It’s so incredibly creamy and delicious its hard to believe that it’s actually good for you! Did you know that avocado is a nutrient booster and helps your body to absorb more of the nutrients of the foods that you eat with avocados. It’s also a great source of dietary fibre, and per gram, contains more potassium than bananas (California Avocado Commission, Live Science).

Avocado and Chocolate Smoothie

For those of you who are thinking avocado and chocolate could not possibly taste good together, give it a try, avocado on its own does not have a strong taste so it blends well with other flavours. Plus, all that creaminess makes it perfect for use in smoothies.

Avocado and Chocolate Smoothie

If you make this smoothie make sure that you have a ripe avocado, using an unripened avocado will not blend well or yield a creamy smoothie.  You can use any milk you like, but since some almond milks contain more sugar than others, remember to adjust for sweetness.

Of course I’ll be making a big batch of this Avocado and Chocolate Smoothie to share with my friends at Fiesta Friday this week!

Avocado and Chocolate Smoothie

• Servings: 1
  • Time: 5 minutes
  • Difficulty: very easy

Author: Sweet and Savoury Pursuits

Ingredients:

• 1 cup vanilla flavoured almond milk (or your favourite milk)
  • 1/2 ripe avocado, pit removed
  • 1/2 ripe banana
  • 1 1/2 Tbs cocoa powder, unsweetened
  • 2 tsp. honey (or other sweetener)
  • 1 cup of ice cubes

Directions:

In a blender, add almond milk, avocado, banana, cocoa, honey, and 1 cup of ice cubes.  Blend on high until smooth.  Serve immediately.

Enjoy!

About these ads

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

22 thoughts on “Avocado and Chocolate Smoothie

1. tastasty October 24, 2014 at 11:48 am Reply

Hello Fida, I said I will make this smoothie and I did! :) You can read my post about it here https://tastasty.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/remake-avocado-and-chocolate-smoothie/ Thank you for sharing this delicious drink..:)

• Sweet and Savoury Pursuits October 24, 2014 at 12:11 pm Reply

Hello Tamara, so glad you tried the recipe and enjoyed it :) I think many people hesitate to try it because of the avocado in it but it really makes it so delicious and creamy. Thanks for letting me know how it went and blogging about it!

• tastasty October 24, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I started to use avocado in my kitchen not so long ago, so I understand the hesitation…but I love it now, so there was no doubt in my mind that I would like it..:) You are welcome and thank you for your comment and keep on blogging..;)

• Sweet and Savoury Pursuits October 24, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Thank you!

2. […] I used a bit more milk, the regular one and less ice as Fida, because I did not want it to be too cold, and the thing I changed is also that I added one whole banana, because it was quite small. So I was able to get 2 glasses from it and I shared it with my boyfriend who liked it a lot! He wanted to drink mine too after he finished his, so I let him have a sip..:) You can read the original recipe here. […]

3. tastasty October 21, 2014 at 2:06 pm Reply

Great smoothie, I will make it when I have the chance..;)

4. Melissa @ The Glen House May 21, 2014 at 5:43 pm Reply

Crazy and totally amazing, all in one glass! Delighted to meet you at fiesta friday!!

• Sweet and Savoury Pursuits May 21, 2014 at 7:59 pm Reply

Thank you so much! Just took a peak at your blog and will be following you as well :) Hope to see you at the next Fiesta Friday!

5. Jhuls May 18, 2014 at 7:46 am Reply

Avocado? Banana? Chocolate? Count me in. :D

6. Selma's Table May 18, 2014 at 7:45 am Reply

This looks so delicious – and healthy too! Thanks for bringing this to the party!

7. Ngan R. May 17, 2014 at 11:42 pm Reply

So many fabulous ingredients in this recipe – almond milk, avo, banana, cocoa! I love them all. I will pin this for the day I finally get a blender and can actually make a smoothie! :)

• Sweet and Savoury Pursuits May 18, 2014 at 7:43 am Reply

A good blender is definitely worthwhile! I’m looking forward to trying lots of great smoothie recipes I’ve been seeing on blogs :)

8. Stacey Bender May 17, 2014 at 10:35 pm Reply

Two favorites combined! Like healthy chocco milk! Thanks for sharing. Party on.

9. Elaine @ foodbod May 17, 2014 at 3:15 am Reply

Hi there, great to meet you at this weeks party! And the smoothie looks luscious!!! Thank you so much for bringing it, I’m sure it will be very popular!!!

10. gastronomiette May 16, 2014 at 12:37 am Reply

YES avocado + chocolate is a match made in heaven. If it wasn’t so darn “nutrient-dense” I’d enjoy it all the time. I know there’s also a really yummy recipe for avocado brownies!!

11. Patty Nguyen May 16, 2014 at 12:31 am Reply

Ooh, what healthy yet decadent treat! It looks delicious!